Thursday, March 02, 2006

Meine Deutsche Klasse

Here's a picture of a few of the people in my german class. For our last day of class we decided to meet in the city and have lunch together. Unfortunately many people couldn't make it since they were traveling back home that day or had already left. There were about 13 of us altogether. But anyway, starting on the left, there's Clayton from Indiana, Lina from Poland, Anna from Italy, Zuzanna from Poland, Enrico from Italy, and our teacher Micheal.

Now I know what your thinking, where's Aaron? Maybe he was taking the picture? But the answer is no. I was actually lost on a bus in Wiesbaden at the time. It's kind of funny what happened. We had met at the trainstation to decide where in the city we wanted to go. We decided to go to this restaurant right in the heart of downtown. It wasn't too far away but I decided I'd hop on a bus and meet them there since they wanted to walk. So I climbed on a bus that I knew went straight there... just two stops, or so I thought. The bus started off going in the right direction but then it suddenly turned left when it should have gone straight. I was a bit confused but I figured it just took a different route to the center of town than I was used to. But it kept circling around the town center without going to any of the stops I wanted. I was about to get off but I thought, I'll wait a couple of more stops to see (mind you, I knew this bus was supposed to go to the center of town, I figured it was just taking a strange route). Well all of the sudden we were crossing the Rhein and I knew something was very wrong. I thought, I should just get off here and catch another bus. But then I thought, most of the buses only make a couple of stops on the other side of the Rhein and then come right back over so it would probably take more time to get off and catch another bus. However, I was on one of the few buses that goes all the way into Wiesbaden before coming back. After a few stops it was clear that I was in a bit of a mess. But I had no idea where I was so I wasn't about to get of the bus now and try and catch another. I figured, eventually it has to go back to Mainz. So I sat there and tried to play it cool. After about 20 min there were fewer and fewer people on the bus. Eventually it was just me and some eight year old girl on her way home from school. The bus made one last stop, the girl got off, and the bus driver turned off the engine and stood up. He was a bit surprised to see me sitting there. Trying not to look like a complete dork I said, "es tut mir leid, ich glaube ich habe den falschen Bus genommen". He told me I had to get off and walk across the street to the bus stop while he prepared the bus to go back. There were a few people at the bus stop who looked at me kind of funny... they were probably thinking, "maybe he just likes to ride the bus". Anyway I rode the bus all the way back to Mainz and got off at the first stop that was close to the center of town. I decided I might as well walk to the restuarant and see if they were still there. When I got the the center square I figured out what the problem was. They were setting up the square for Carnival and so all of the buses had been re-routed around the town center... it would have been nice if there was a sign at the bus stop saying this. Well I got there just as everyone was getting ready to go. They all figured that's what happened to me once they got there and realized there was no bus that went to the town center. Anyway, Clayton took a few pictures and emailed them to me. Well tomorrow I'm flying to Venice for 4 days and I'll be sure to post lots of pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home