Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Parte due de Venezia


Monday was an absolutely gorgeous day. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky and the temp was about 50. After breakfast I headed off into the Carnnaregio district (northern) which is full of markets and shops. Here’s a few pictures from along the way.







I walked down to the Ponte di Rialto and took a water bus down to the western part of the San Marco district and slowly made may way towards the Piazza San Marco passing through the Piazza San Stefano. Here’s a few pictures from there.


Along the way to San Marco:


And here’s the Piazza San Marco once again.


And here’s a few pictures as the sun was setting.


Well tuesday was my last day but my flight wasn’t until 10:00 pm so I had plenty of time to see a little more of Venice. I decided to ride a water bus around Venice and then over to the neighboring island to the south called Lido. Once again the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. I took some nice pictures of Venice along the way. Here’s a few.





And here’s the view of Venice from Lido.


Lido is a long island but it’s not very wide (only about a quarter of a mile) and on the other side is the Adriatic Sea so I decided to walk there and have a look. As you can see I think it was well worth the walk.






I then took a water bus back to the mainland and headed for the southern part of the San Polo district (central), which was one of the few places I hadn’t really seen yet. Here’s a couple pictures from the water bus:



And here’s a few of the San Polo district where I slowly made my way toward the Piazzale Roma where I could catch a bus back to the airport.




I arrived back in Mainz late last night and was completely wiped out. Unfortunately I was greeted by snow and a cold wind chill... a stark contrast after spending a sunny afternoon at the beach. Well I’m very glad I went. Venice certainly is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Venezia è semplicemente bella! In my opinion I’d have to say it’s a tie for me between Prague and Venice for the most beautiful city in Europe (with Brugge a close 2nd). And speaking of Prague I’ll be there on monday. I’ll probably only spend a day or two there (unless the weather is really good) and then I’m hopping a train to Vienna. I’m sure I’ll have lots more pictures then. Arrivederci!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home