Thursday, October 20, 2005

Frankfurt

Everythings great here in Mainz. It’s starting to get a little cooler here, especially at night. Thankfully I finally have internet in my room! So my german class started last week and it’s ok I guess... aber ein bißchen langweilig. On Sunday I went to a play at the Mainz theater because one of my pathfinders, Karina (who coincidentally studied at KU 2 years ago as an exchange student), has a friend who works there and got her a couple free tickets. The theater is very nice (you can see it in the background of a pic in a previous post) but the play was a bit odd. It was a mondern rendering of ‘Amphitryon’. I had a hard time following it but Karina helped me out.

Today I went with Karina to Frankfurt because she had to pick up some books there. It was very foggy today or else we would have gone up in one of the towers for a nice view of the city. It was so foggy you couldn’t even see the tops of most of the buildings. We walked down to the old square where they have a big christmas market and a big new year’s celebration. Here’s a couple pics of me (fyi, the neat buildings with all the wooden beams are called ‘Fachwerkhaus’).



We then walked down to the river and across an old iron pedestrian bridge. There was a really pretty church on the other side and Karina snapped a couple of pictures. For some reason she’s camera shy and didn’t want to be in any of them.

You can really see how thick the fog was in these pictures.


Here’s a nice picture from the other side of the river which was lined with big trees.

After that Karina had to run over to the university library while I toured the famous Städel Museum. They had a nice mix of modern art, classic art, and midieval art. They had a lot of paintings by Max Beckmann as well as Renoir. There was also a few Monet’s and Rembrandt’s, and a Picasso. It was a really nice museum. Jetzt muss ich meine Hausaufgabe machen -- so tschüss bis gleich!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home